I’m Alaina, cofounder and editor of The Everygirl Media Group. Ten years ago I launched my original personal blog Live Creating Yourself. Six years ago I launched my company The Everygirl. I’m now 32, running a business, married, we’re expecting our first baby due in May, and decorating an 1887 Chicago greystone with my husband. This is my new online space for personal musings and ramblings… thanks for following along! And welcome!
A Chicago native, I graduated from Syracuse University in 2008 with degrees in magazine journalism and psychology with big dreams of editing at Vanity Fair or The New Yorker. My inherent wanderlust blossomed after spending a semester in London, so post-graduation, I decidedly packed a U-Haul and my pup and headed south to Washington, D.C. with stars in my eyes and not a single connection to call on. I found my first job the old-fashioned way: a newspaper ad and a solid interview. I spent the next year doing communications and graphics for a small children’s advocacy non-profit organization where I gained valuable insight to cubicle life, made great friends, and quickly realized I missed Chicago.
After much thought, I headed back to the Windy City and moved in with mom (while continuing my NPO work from home). A few months later, unsure of what direction my life would lead, I started a blog, Live Creating Yourself, and began writing about design. And photography. And travel. I found inspiration in the quote, “Life is not about finding yourself, life is about creating yourself.” I began to realize I didn’t have to have everything figured out at that moment. It would shape itself so long as I started doing the things I loved.
I currently live with my husband, Dan, and our two cockapoos, Tucker and Fiona, in a greystone house we’re renting on the west side of Chicago. I love romantic movies, flowers on my coffee table, and singing instead of talking.
LAUNCHING THE EVERYGIRL
In 2010, I met fellow blogger Danielle Moss and we quickly realized we shared a common goal: to create an online resource for smart, driven women getting by on their own. No business connections; no financial help from family or some other magical moneytree. The content and products we wanted to feature would be affordable and attainable; the career profiles would be detailed, explaining every step the woman took that led her to where she is; and the stories from readers and contributors would be relatable.
The Everygirl launched in February 2012 and was named a Top 100 Website for Women by Forbes just four months later. The site now boasts over a million unique readers a month from around the globe. And we’ve partnered with brands such as Old Navy, Kate Spade, and Athleta; Target, Minted, and Kendall-Jackson; and dozens of smaller, independent brands. Our talented team has grown to 6 full-time staff members and a vast network of photographers and writers, without whom, none of this would have been possible.
LET’S PLAY 20 QUESTIONS
- Favorite board game? Clue DVD
- Celebrity crush? Joshua Jackson (Pacey Witter)
- East or West? West
- Favorite TV show? Ahh too many to name. Let’s say The Office. And Downton Abbey.
- Coffee order? Almond milk latte
- Superhero power? Teleporting
- Favorite Nancy Myers film? that’s an impossible question
- Current song on repeat? Green Light by Lorde and There Will Be Time by Mumford
- Woman you most admire? Arianna Huffington for her work and Viola Davis for her everything.
- If you weren’t running The Everygirl, you’d be… probably doing interior design or brand consulting.
- Go to recipe? Quinoa bowl–I like to mix up the ingredients. Veggies, meats, always with avocado. Good stuff.
- Morning or night? Night
- If you could live anywhere else, where would it be? Provence or Sonoma. I think I’m due for some time in the country.
- Favorite color? Ecru
- Newest hobby? Gardening
- Hobby you’ve given up but miss? I miss how much I used to sing… and drawing. And just being offline in general.
- Scariest moment of your life? I had the fortune of being in Wrigleyville when the Cubs won the World Series, but the crowds got scary when everyone rushed toward the marquee. We were being pushed back and forth and the crowd kept closing in and let’s just say it got difficult to breathe… #terrifying
- Favorite city? London and Paris will forever be in a tie.
- Summer or winter? Fall
- Favorite item in your home? The French style mirror above our fireplace.
portrait photography by Aimée Mazzenga