I often get asked advice on how to choose a sofa or which are my favorite sofa designs. Most recently I had two gals ask what their first investment should be when transitioning from college to their adult homes. My answer? A great sofa.
Behold: my 20 favorite sofas, including 4 that are under $1000.
20 probably sounds not helpful since there are so many to choose from, but odds are you already have a style, size, or budget in mind. This will just help narrow down the best options out there.
I am showing most of them in a basic white fabric so you could better compare the style and not be distracted by the color or fabric – most of these come in multiple colors or fabrics so take your pick. I know 98% of the population would never have a white sofa (even though it’s beauuutiful) because of staining.
I HIGHLY recommend going with white, beige, grey, or navy. Greens and browns can go very wrong very fast, and fun, bold colors like pink or yellow or canary blue can be amazing if you have over a thousand dollars to throw on a pink coach. Props to you for that bold choice! Never get a red sofa.
MY FAVORITE SOFA:
The traditional English roll arm has been my favorite style for as long as I can remember. It’s elegant but comfortable, no back cushions for people (or Fiona) to sit on and mess up, and nice low arms that are perfect for propping a pillow against and taking a nap.
I will always recommend the Rose English Roll Arm sofa we designed with Interior Define when people ask for sofa recommendations… the price point, fabric options, and shape make it the best deal for this style sofa.
IF YOU WANT A CLASSIC DESIGN THAT WILL STAND THE TEST OF TIME:
IF YOU WANT FANCY TRADITIONAL:
…or of course, the English Roll Arm shown first…
IF YOU WANT MINIMAL SLEEK BUT STILL COMFORTABLE:
8. The Caitlin by The Everygirl and Interior Define (get it in the velvet for more of an old world feel)
IF YOU WANT LEATHER:
via Studio McGee
IF YOU WANT A SECTIONAL:
via Lauren Conrad
via Blesser House
16. Nancy Meyers-esque Slope Arm (expensive taste on a budget, shown above)
17. Pillows Sleeper Sofa (amazing for small apartment or guest room)
19. Homey Rounded Arm Sofa (under $500)
20. I don’t think this is the style most people are looking for because the back isn’t all scoochy or whatever, but I LOVE it and would love to have the settee size flanking the fireplace across from our roll arm. So elegant. Reminds me of Downton Abbey.